Computer Science, Ph.D., University of Waterloo, Canada (2016-2020)
Engineering, B.Sc., Salzburg Univ. of Applied Sciences, Austria (2014)
Medicine, State Exam I, University of Marburg, Germany (2011)
Research Scientist at Google Research (Since 2022)
Applied Scientist at Amazon AI (2020-2022)
Student Researcher at Google Health (2018-2020)
Research Intern at Google Brain (2018)
Software Engineering Intern at Google (2017)
Co-founder, Head of IT at Stilnest (2013-2015)
My research is located at the intersection of human-computer interaction, machine learning and medicine. In the past, I have focused on developing methods to capture and utilize the structure of ambiguous classification problems for human-centered machine learning and human-AI interaction.
- 02/2022: I accepted a new position as Research Scientist at Google Research starting at the end of March.
- 05/2021: My PhD thesis was awarded the Canadian Computer Science Distinguished Dissertation Award and the Cheriton Distinguished Dissertation Award. Thank you! :)
- 10/2020: I started a new position as Applied Scientist at Amazon AI.
- 09/2020: I have defended my thesis on Human-AI Interaction in the Presence of Ambiguity.
- 01/2020: Both of our papers, Ambiguity-aware AI Assistants for Medical Data Analysis and Expert Discussions Improve Comprehension of Difficult Cases in Medical Image Assessment, were accepted for publication at CHI 2020 and will be presented in Honolulu, Hawaii, this April!
- 12/2019: Our work on Remote Tool-Based Adjudication for Grading Diabetic Retinopathy was published in TVST.
- 06/2019: Our work on Understanding Expert Disagreement in Medical Data Analysis through Structured Adjudication was accepted for publication at CSCW 2019.
- 10/2018: Our CSCW paper Resolvable vs. Irresolvable Disagreement: A Study on Worker Deliberation in Crowd Work received a Best Paper award.
- 09/2018: I joined Google Health as a Student Researcher.
- 04/2018: I was awarded the Google PhD Fellowship, as one of 39 recipients globally and the only one from Canada.